Biggest Gaming Conference in SEA Returns with Level Up KL 2017! – Fast tracking South East Asia’s growth in the game industry
Time to Level Up
South East Asia’s biggest video game conference is back with Level Up KL 2017! Already in its third year, Level Up KL 2017 is the biggest and best one so far with an incredible six days of video games development related activities, which includes various workshops, showcases as well as exhibitions. The six day video game event takes place in Kuala Lumpur (hence the name) and has been going on since the 4th November and will end tomorrow (9th November).
Hosted by the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), Level Up KL 2017 aims to explore cross-border alliances with regional associations and creating strategic partnerships with technology enablers to drive the region’s games development industry forward. According to Hasnul Hadi Samsudin, Vice President of Creative Content & Technologies, MDEC, the agency has continued to push for greater cooperation amongst nations within the Southeast Asia games community as it seeks to strengthen the region’s position among global players. He said,
The Malaysian government recognises the games industry as an important engine of economic growth in the region. The support we receive from LEVEL UP KL year-on-year, along with the solid alliance with prominent players in the games industry, indicates this region has what it takes to drive this robust, dynamic, and multi-national industry. More importantly, this positive development has positioned us as an emerging games producing region.
Level Up KL 2017 features games development related content which spans from the business and technical sides of the industry, future-shaping trends, keynotes, and high level sessions with esteemed panel speakers from all over the world. Some of these speakers include leading industry stalwarts from big name video game entities such as EA Motive, Ea Ghost, Naughty Dog, Riot Games, Streamline Studios and Marvel Entertainment, just to name a few.
Here are the some of the key events happening at Level Up KL 2017:
- The Southeast Asia Game Jam (4th and 5th November): A 36-hour game jam, organised by the Malaysian chapter of International Game Developers Association (IGDA Malaysia), will showcase promising games developers from the region where they will display their raw skills and creativity in the art of game-making. The goal of this Game Jam is to have participants create games in a collaborative environment under a tight deadline.
- Workshops and specialised tracks (6th and 9th November): Hands-on workshop with the world’s top games industry experts on various topics, such as games design, concept and environment art, and audio.
- Business Connection Program (6th November): A business matching and networking platform for delegates to build networks, connect, and explore potential business opportunities with participating companies.
- LEVEL UP KL Conference (7th and 8th November): The main two-day event, featuring top industry players from around the world, will cover both business and technical facets from various games development platforms, such as mobile, PC, and console. Among the prominent speakers featured this year are Danny Koo from Marvel Entertainment, Brian Recktenwald of Naughty Dog, Appxplore’s Desmond Lee, and Falk Au Yeong who is with SoundtRec Malaysia.
- Industry showcase and exhibition (7th and 8th November): This showcase will feature the work of the SEA Game Awards finalists alongside other indie games developer studios and an exhibition of product and services from companies operating in the games industry.
- The Southeast Asia Game Awards (8th November): Organised by MDEC and supported by MYGameOn, the SEA Game Awards is created to recognise outstanding, artistic, and creative efforts for technical and gameplay achievements in the games industry within the region.
Here’s an interesting bit of info, over 75 game submissions – published and unpublished – from indie game developers, studios, game publishers, and students have been sent in, with 30 games shortlisted as finalists. The awards will be divided into 10 categories including Best Visual Art, Best Game Design, Best Rising Star, and Audience Choice Award.
Of course for more information regarding Level Up KL 2017, please visit their official website right here.